Guardianship and Conservatorship

Kentucky and Ohio trust and estate attorneys helping you protect your children

In an ideal life, every adult retains full mental capacity until the day he or he dies. In real life, this is not the case. If you are worried that a loved one is no longer safe living alone, it may be an unfortunate reality that someone has to step in to prevent that person from harming themselves—or others. If your loved one has not executed a Durable General Power of Attorney, your only option is to start a court proceeding to be appointed to take over his or her personal and financial affairs. In most cases, this does not require hiring an attorney because once a petition is filed, the state regulates the process. If you are in this situation, though, you are welcome to call us and have a telephone or office conference to discuss what is involved and what you need to be thinking about and what the future holds.